Transportation is now a less complicated process in many countries around the world. The old systems of public transportation are getting outdated now and many new transportation methods are arising as technology advances. Rapid Transit Systems are getting wide acceptance in many countries as they are very efficient and time-saving. One of the famous rapid transit systems is the Sky bus, which is an eco-friendly transport system. The very efficient structural engineering of this sky bus system makes it more reliable, financially advantageous, and environment friendly. It can be implemented in urban areas without affecting the default traffic style. AC 3 phase asynchronous electric motors are commonly used in the sky bus for its propulsion.
The road conditions in many of the urban areas are pathetic due to the overutilization of the scarcely available land and the increasing vehicle population. This problem is more concentrated in downtown areas where most business organizations are present. The passenger handling capacity of these roads is very low. Sky bus has a very efficient technology which is used in it.
Sky Bus Technical Aspects:
Sky Bus consists of bogies that are powered to run at about 100 Km/Hr. It is supported on a fixed structure which will be about 8 meters high above the ground. Coaches will be suspended on the structure and will be fully air-conditioned. It will follow the default traffic routes and are very safe. Its construction style makes it efficient to avoid collisions, toppling, and other problems.
- It is a box structure composed of concrete carried on piers about 9m tall.
- Pile foundations in the middle of roads with 8m height and 1m diameter.
- Heavy meter rails of 2 in number fixed to the concrete boxes.
- No crossing in between.
- Standard bogies which are two axles
- Linear Induction motors are used for the 4th rail present above the bogie. Regenerative power capable 3phase AC motors are used.
- The current collection is done by the third rail.
- Three levels of braking are present: Regenerative Brakes, Disc Brakes and Emergency Mechanical Brakes.
- These are light shells that are double-walled suspended from the sky bogies. This will have large windows.
- Banking of the curves can be controlled on about 50 m diameter curves.
- The coaches will have automatic doors.
- Passenger assistance through audio and visual information.
- Special sliding doors for easy exit.
- Services at a short time interval like about 1 minute.
- Small Stations needed as compared to other RTS.
- Stations are footbridges on the roads which are spaced at about one-kilometer distance.
- Reduced waiting time for passengers at the stations due to increased frequencies.
- Prepaid cards can be used for access and fully automated systems.
- Stations will be accessed facilities and not suitable for passenger holding.
Sky bus technology is a very efficient transit system when compared to other transit systems. The importance of technology in the field of transit methods paved the way for the discovery of this new method of sky bus.